OPIC has several plunging devices to cater for a range of experimental constraints, be it the need for single-sided blotting, or plunge freezing of high containment level organisms.
Within our 'yellow suite', operating at category 2 level (with category 3 capability), we have three plunging devices within biosafety cabinets appropriate for HG3 level pathogens.
Two Vitrobot (Thermofisher) plunging devices
- Version: Mark IV
- Latest software installed
- Regularly serviced.
- Ideal for single sided blotting.
- Regularly used for cell, tomography and single particle samples.
- Housed within a humidity controlled room in a class II Biological safety cabinet.
- Protocols in place for plunging approved organisms up to Hazard Group 3.
Additional plunging devices:
- Two manual plungers, one located in our containment suite.
- CryoPlunge-3 (CP3, Gatan) in a biological safety cabinet, located in containment suite.
Other grid preparation tools
- PRIMO micropatterning device for seeding cells on grids.
- Negative stain bench with Uranyl Acetate, Uranyl Formate and Uranyl-free stains.
- Clipping and Loading stations for Autoloader microscopes.
- Ethane and ethane/propane canisters for plunge freezing.
- Harrick plasma glow discharge units.